Wednesday, December 26, 2007

4:Working with Communities and UNICEF in Latur : Chapter 4

Chapter 4 : The Dilemma

Morning I woke up early , after some time myself and Avdhut stepped out for some breakfast , when we come back Nakeeran , Zia and Shyna were already in heated discussion as what project should be given to us they discussed “ Child tracking system “ , Village information system “ and “ Communication strategy”. While disussing village information system I asked what are the chances of having commercial use of data in private and corporate partnership then Nakeeran and Zia mentioned that they were already in touch with HLL for such projects with their SHG units but eventually they did not work out because of ideological differences , this sounded interesting to me and I discussed with Avdhut that probably we can chart out a plan on this and give it to UNICEF , it will help them for taking discussins to the next level.
We started moving to our destination for today , Shirur where another convention was organized by volunteers to followup on micro planning routines. I dozed off in jeep , Avdhut had plan to read lots of books which he could not read while trimester was on , he started with “ The art of war “ , I also tried to turn pages of “ Fortune at bottom of pyramid” but soon got overpowered by sleep. Avdhut woke me up after 1 hr , I could see Nakeeran sir was already jumping out from jeep which was yet to stop completely and someone was guiding him saying the rally started 5 minutes back , I came to know that we are in Shirur , a small town which is now block , it does not have any god infrastructure but still division of Osmanabaad has given such places status of town cum block.

We followed Nakeeran sir , we could hear loud slogans shouted by rally mass focusing different issues which are at heart of micro planning. Nakeeran sir did not waste a single minute , he submerged into rally , this is what I like about these social workers they are quick in taking action , they are ready to loose their identity in masses for cause , In fact they don’t want to have an identity of their own , their identity is their people for whom they work or should I say with whom they work. Rally stopped at a community hall near panchayat house in front of a Hanuman mandir , people entered into the hall , amazingly participation of women and children was overwhelming . I also belong to a village and can imagine how difficult it is for volunteers to gather such a mass in villages.

No comments: